After 3 years of posting recipes that were personally tested by my friend and former business partner, the late Paul Royko, I am finally running out of material that is seasonally appropriate.
While I search my files for more, Danica has stepped up with her recipe for a favourite at our house.
Your “Royko Recipe” for November, 2018 … from Danica Andersen
Hamburger Heavenly Hash
You will need a large frying pan and an oven-proof covered casserole (corning ware), approximately 3L capacity . If you have a Dutch Oven or Le Cruset type baker this can be a one pot/pan recipe!
Time 30 min
Yield 6 – 8 portions
1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup soy sauce (choose a lower sodium brand ;^)
1/2 tsp chili powder (more or less depending on how spicy it is) 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
28 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 cup water
1/2 lb uncooked macaroni (2 cup measure)
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped or shredded
3 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 400°F
2. Brown ground beef with onions and garlic (add cooking oil if necessary).
3. Add soy sauce, chili powder, mustard, tomatoes, water to meat. Heat mixture to boiling. 4. Place UNCOOKED pasta into a 3 L casserole dish. Sprinkle green pepper over pasta.
5. Pour hot meat-sauce-mixture over pasta and stir for one minute.
6. Bake, COVERED at 400°F about 20 minutes.
7. Uncover, stir. Sprinkle with cheese. Return uncovered to oven to melt cheese. Serve hot.
Notes: • Quick and tasty – kids love it!
• Serve with a green vegetable or salad.